The first time is always a magical and precious time, especially when you have a kid. The first smile, first tooth, first steps, first syllables, first solid food: these are the moments where it is impossible to blink because you might miss the moment.
Infants are also extremely adorable at this stage because they are learning about their surroundings and are very curious. This stage can also be overwhelmingly messy because they play a lot and start to eat by themselves. Mealtime is fun time, but it is also one of the messiest parts in the day of a parent.
High chair is manna from heaven, sent to parents to make mealtime easier and more manageable. By definition, a high chair is literally a tall chair that has enough space to secure the baby and a tray where food can be placed.
The history of high chairs can be traced as early as the 17th and 18th century. Since then, high chairs have evolved and are now widely used, not just in homes but also in public establishments like restaurants.
How to choose the best high chair
Choosing the best high chair is not an easy task for parents since your child deserves nothing but the best and they will spend a lot of time in it. It is good to note that there are different types and brands of high chairs.
There is one for every budget, need, and age. In deciding the best high chair to buy, you have to remember these things:
1. Baby’s Ability and Safety
Is your little one able to sit on their own? Can they at least support themselves while sitting? These are just some of the questions you need to address before choosing a particular high chair. You also need to be keen with the safety features of the high chair.
2. Intended Use
Are you planning to use the high chair as early as the bottle-feeding stage? If you intend to use the high chair at an early stage you have to choose the type that has infant head and body support to properly position your child.
You do not want to make them uncomfortable while being fed. If you plan to start using high chairs at an early stage, consider getting one that has plenty of room for the growth of your child so you don’t need to buy another one.
3. Easy to use
Taking care of a baby can be stressful; more often than not, you need to do two to three chores simultaneously while watching them. So it is important to consider when choosing the best high chair is the ease in using and cleaning it. You need to choose a high chair that you assemble, setup, and fold easily.
This saves you time and energy. You also have to choose the one where you can put your baby in and out easily.
4. Consider the features
Most of the high chairs has a staple feature like harness and security, but not all of them have added features. Sometimes you don’t need these features, but oftentimes these features maximize the full use of your high chair. Like removable snack, try for snack time and various reclining positions.
Consider these add-ons when looking for a high chair because you might never know when you’ll need them.
5. Save or splurge
When choosing the best high chair, you need to consult your budget. The quality should not be compromised because you’re trying to save. Scout and research for high chairs that does not cost much but would do the job.
If you have some extra cash to spend, then by all means get the high chair of high quality. Remember that high chairs are an investment; choose the quality one so you can use and keep them in the long run.
The qualities to look for in a good high chair
Now that you know how to choose the best high chair, the next important thing you should learn is what makes a good high chair good.
There are different types of high chairs like standard high chair, high-end high chairs, booster chairs, on-the-go high chairs, multi-tasking high chairs, and many more.
Before buying that high chair you’re eyeing, keep in mind this quality checklist:
Safe is and will always be better than sorry. Though 3-point harness is the standard safety feature prescribed, most high chair brands have already included a 5-point harness feature in their products.
This is to ensure that the child is protected even more. A good high chair has quality straps that are easy to adjust and fasten. It is important that the straps are easily adjustable to accommodate the baby’s size and growth.
The harness should also have a good quality buckle that you can easily maneuver. It should not be easy for babies to play with it and at the same time adults should not have a hard time using it.
2. High Chair Size
Do you have enough space in your house for usage and storage? Are you looking for high chairs that you can use on-the-go? A good quality high chair should not eat up so much space when used and when stored.
Look for a high chair that is compact when folded so you can easily stash it your cabinet or storage area. If you’re considering a travel-friendly high chair, choose the one that is lightweight and petite.
Your precious bundle of joy deserves the best comfort in the world. Remember that they can’t verbally tell you yet if something is causing them discomfort, so it is good to choose a chair that comfortable enough in your standards. Imagine you’ll be the one to sit there, would it be comfy and cozy to you?
A quality high chair often comes with padding to ensure that the baby feels comfy while sitting.
4. Food Tray
Probably one of the most important features to consider in buying the high chair is the quality of the food tray. There are a variety of tray features in a high chair.
There’s the one-hand tray where you can easily detach and attach the tray but hard for your baby to push or kick it. Also, there are high chairs where trays can be swung to the side when not in use.
5. Adjustable reclining and height
There are high chairs that you cannot adjust the back, so sometimes the pre-reclined position is too far for your baby to reach, which may cause sliding or slipping.
A quality high chair oftentimes has three-recline position to choose from. Also, there are brands that offer multi-tasking high chair that can be transformed into multiple varieties like toddler booster, infant booster, and youth booster.
Some could even accommodate two kids at the same time. A good high chair has also an adjustable height positions.
6. Easy to clean and assemble
A good high chair should not take a lot of your time in cleaning it. Look for the ones that are easy to wipe and machine washable. It is also good to if you can remove the cover to wash it.
Assembling the high chair should also be a breeze; you should easily move it and fold it. There are high chairs that have wheels, which can help you move around the house with ease.
|Cosco Simple Fold High Chair||$||4.1/5|
|Graco TableFit High Chair||$$||4.3/5|
|Graco Blossom 4 in 1 High Chair Seating System||$$$||4.7/5|
|Ingenuity Trio 3-in-1 Deluxe High Chair||$$||4.4/5|
|Ciao! Baby Portable High Chair||$$||4.3/5|
|Evenflo Convertible High Chair, Dottie Lime||$||4.6/5|
|Fisher-Price Spacesaver High Chair, Luminosity||$||4.6/5|
|Graco SimpleSwitch Highchair and Booster, Little Hoot||$$||4.6/5|
|Fisher-Price Healthy Care Deluxe Booster – Brown/Tan||$||4.7/5|
|Summer Infant Classic Comfort Wood High Chair||$$$||4/5|
Reviews of the Top 5 High Chairs
The Cosco Simple Fold High Chair is compact, easy to setup, lightweight, and affordable. It is perfect for everyday use because it is easy to setup and does not take too much space in your house. Cleaning is also made easy because of the easy to wipe technique. This simple fold high chair is also perfect for traveling families.
What’s good about it?
- Compact – This high chair only takes a little amount of space when used and when stored. This is perfect for small households where space is limited.
- Cosco Simple Fold High Chair is also lightweight, so it makes transporting easier to manage. And because it is compact, it is great for traveling so you won’t have to worry about your baby’s meal time.
- Safety ensured – Cosco Simple Fold High Chair has a 3-point harness feature that secures your baby. It can hold up to 50 lbs., there’s definitely plenty of room for your child when he/she grows.
You may want to keep in mind:
- High Chair Design – This high chair is pre-positioned and there is no way to adjust it. Reviewers noted that the high chair is reclined too much and since they can’t adjust it, their babies usually slouch and slide. To remedy this, they put a small cushion/pillow or rolled towel to support the baby’s back.
- Only 3-point harness – The safety measure of this high chair is both a pro and a con. Some reviewers felt like the 3-point harness could have been improved. They felt that the safety precaution is not enough for the baby. In this case, users may want to add protection to the high chair by reinforcing screws and adding base support.
- Covers are not detachable – Although the covers are easy to wipe, some reviewers noted that when the cover is messier that usual, cleaning becomes tough.
- In scenarios like this you may want to try if the high chair fits in your sink or you may clean it outside the house and let the sun help you drying it. Also putting am additional cover like a mini placemat might do wonders.
If reclining ability does not bug you that much then this one’s for you. If putting a small cushion or pillow is not an added chore for you then you may get this one. Cosco Simple Fold High Chair is for parents on a budget whp still want to get a quality high chair for their baby.
The Graco TableFit High Chair is a dream come true for most parents. This high chair, from the name itself, adjusts to different table heights. TableFit High Chair also allows parents to use in three different recline positions.
What’s good about it
- TableFit- The eight-height positions allow the high chair to adjust to different height, from countertops to island bars to dinner table.
- Safety- This high chair has a 3-point and 5-point harness feature which you can use interchangeably depending on the situation. The 5-point harness security feature ensures your child’s safety even more.
- 3-position recline- The 3-position recline lets you use this high chair in as early as infant bottle feeding stage.You don’t have to worry if your baby cannot move their body yet because the 3-position recline allows you choose the best position for your body.
- Adjustable- GracoTableFit High Chair has a plenty of room for you growing child.The footrest is also adjustable to make sure that the chair adapts to the growing needs of your child. The high chair can hold up to 40lbs of the child up to 3 years old.
- Removable snack tray- Snack time is made fun and easy with the removable tray, which you can use for smaller meals.
- Easy to clean- TableFit has a machine washable seat pad and easy-to-wipe feature that makes cleaning an easy job.
- Compact- The high chair does not eat a lot of space when used and stored.
You may want to keep in mind:
- Assembly- Some reviewers noted that they had some difficult time assembling the high chair.But there are also a number of reviewers who said that the assembling did not take them more than 20 minutes.Perhaps you may want to watch tutorials or read blogs about the installation of this high chair to save you from encountering difficulty in assembly.
- Some reviewers noted that the design and color collection are limited.If you think that the high chair can still be improved in terms of design to make it more appealing to you little one, you may search for DIY designs like putting decals and stickers that are chemical-free.
- Snack Tray- This feature swings to both the positive and the negative side. Some reviewers find it useful since not most of the time their babies are eating large amount of food.For other reviewers the snack tray is hard to remove and insert, and can sometimes pinch the baby’s skin.In this case you may want to practice maneuvering the snack tray with and without your baby. There is a slight learning curve in this area. Considering the additional features, GracoTableFit High Chair leans toward the splurge side.
GracoTableFit High Chair is a multi-functional high chair great for parents who want their child to join them during mealtime, even at an early age.
The high chair is great for homes with varying table height and sizes. It is easy to clean and allows you to control the positioning of your child. It is easy to clean and allows you to control the positioning of your child.
The Graco Blossom 4 in 1 High Chair Seating System is a revolutionary high chair designed to provide you four different modes in just one build. This high chair is also easy to clean because it is machine washable. You can this chair as high chair, booster, and youth chair. It can also accommodate two kids at once.
What’s good about it
- Four seating modes- This high chair can transform into four different seating modes. You can use it as high chair, an infant feeding booster, a toddler booster, and a youth booster.
- Can accommodate two kids at once- You can either use the high chair and toddler booster or the infant feeding booster and youth chair all at once.
- Highly adjustable- This high chair has six-height positions and three recline levels you may choose from to give your baby enough comfort. There is also 3-position adjustable footrest that accommodates the growth of your child.
- Safety- The high chair comes with a 3-point and 5-point harness security measure.
- Infant head and body support for early bottle-feeding stages.
- Easy to clean- Machine washable seat pad and easy to wipe fabric.
- With wheels- This high chair has wheels on all four making moving around the house easier.
You may want to keep in mind:
- Some reviewers noted that the tray fit could have been improved because sometimes it leaves a gap that can allow crumbs or spills.In this case your baby may wear a bib for added protection and adjust the recline to a position that’s closer to the tray.
- One reviewer noted that kid falls off or slides easily. But it is good to remember that there is a 3-point and 5-point harness feature. As adults, you may want to double-check the straps and belt every time.
- Other reviews noted that they have a hard time swiveling the front wheels, in this case you may want to use some lubrication to help the wheels move easier.
It’s a 4-in-1 High Chair Seating System and it can accommodate two, this one leans on the splurge side.
Graco Blossom 4 in 1 High Chair Seating System is a great multi-functional high chair that allows you four different modes of seating.
It is also great for families with kids that have closer age ranges, because this high chair can accommodate two kids at once.
The Ingenuity Trio 3-in-1 Deluxe High Chair gives you a multi-functional high chair that’s a little less pricey that the other multi-tasking high chairs. You can maximize this high chair into three seating modes: a full-size high chair, a toddler chair, and a booster.
Cleaning is made easy with the removable tray and seat pad that is machine washable. Safety is also guaranteed with a 3-point and 5-point harness.
What’s good about it?
- Three different seating modes- You can transform this high chair into three seating modes: regular high chair, booster seat, and toddler chair.
- This high chair can also accommodate two kids at once.
- Removable infant bolster- This feature is convenient when you want to save space.
- High adjustable- The 3-position recline feature adjusts the position just right for your child and can be used as early as bottle feeding stage.
- Removable Tray- The tray can be removed for thorough cleaning at the sink and is very dishwasher friendly. Also, the tray has cup holders to prevent spills.
- This high chair has wheels on all four to make moving around easy.
You may want to keep in mind:
- No folding capability- This high chair has no folding ability, therefore it make take a lot of space in your house. In case of this you may remove the bolster from the chair and use it independently to save space.
- Wheels- Most reviewers pointed out that the wheels do not glide easily; in this case you can put some lubrication to assist in easier rolling.
For a multi-functional high chair it’s a little cheap unlike other brands, it leans toward the saving-money side.
The Ingenuity Trio 3-in-1 Deluxe High Chair is great for parents who want a multi-functional high chair with a lesser price.
If you have extra space to spare this chair is also good for you, but if you have a petite home, you may consider getting a more compact high chair.
The Ciao Baby Portable High Chair is the perfect travel companion for parents who love to have fun outdoors. It is portable, lightweight, and compact.
It also does not require assembly; it has an easy fold system. Though portable and compact, the security and cleanliness still plays fair for this high chair.
What’s good about it:
- Portable, compact, and lightweight- This high chair weighs at estimated 8lbs and does not eat a lot of space in cars and homes. It also comes with a carrying bag making it an easy grab.
- Easy to clean- Material is easy to wipe making cleaning easier.
- Safety- It may be portable but it does not compromise security. It has a seatbelt and footrest to ensure safety.
You may want to keep in mind
- Food platform- Since it is a portable high chair, unlike the regular high chair where trays are independent or can be manipulated; in here trays are attached to the body. The food platform can only also hold a certain weight of food.If too much food is placed on the platform there is a tendency that it might spill on the child’s lap.Some reviewers noted that they make some improvisations by inserting a thin metal or T-bar to provide steadier support to the platform.
- Minimal cleaning-Some reviewers wished that the high chair has removable covers, but because it’s not it would be better to take out mini placemats to make cleaning more manageable.
- Tendency to tilt- The weight of the child is also a factor if you’re keen on purchasing this portable high chair.Heavier babies might cause the high chair to tilt. It would be nice to put additional safety measures at the base to support the child’s weight.The Ciao Baby Portable High Chair is good value.
This high chair is perfect for families that love to travel. It’s lightweight, portable, and compact. Going out with your baby has never been this hassle-free.